Podkarpackie Voivodeship is a region in Poland with its capital located in Rzeszow. It has an ethnic diversity of many people from Ukraine living in the region. Podkarpackie is one of 16 regions of Poland and covers an area of 8400 square kilometres. The name “Podkarpackie” derives from the word “podsied,” meaning “foot of a mountain”.
The region has many cities, towns, and villages: with over 2 million inhabitants. The capital of the region is Rzeszów. The Voivodeship is heavily forested in the Bieszczady Mountains and the Sandomierz Basin in the northern part of the province. You will find hundreds of kilometres of biking and hiking trails to explore while taking in the natural beauty of the region.
Rzeszow in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship
Rzeszow is an attractive destination for tourists because it offers many attractions and interesting places to visit. The most popular attractions are the Rzeszow Castle, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, and the Museum of Folk Architecture and Rural Life. The Rzeszow Market Square draws many visitors to its underground tourist route. A 396m-long route linking 25 old cellars beneath the central market square. The route took 17 years to complete with cellars dating from the 14th to 18th centuries and reaching a depth of up to 10m.
Krosno is a historic town dating back to the 14th century that is famous for its glassmaking. For the last 100 years, renowned crystal products have been produced in Krosno that are renowned worldwide. You can visit the Glass Heritage Centre in Krosno to see how products are made.
The Voivodeship of Podkarpackie has many outstanding castles in Poland, both new and old, which once belonged to the most powerful families in the region. You will find Gothic and Renaissance style architecture in Baranow Sandomierski, Krasiczyn Castles and the remains of Kamieniec, Odrzykoń Castle. Many of these amazing castles are open to the public, with some proving accommodation.
- 15 reasons to visit Poland right nowOne place that is not completely on the tourist radar is Poland but it is fast becoming a brilliant place for a European vacation. Poland has it all from food to traditions, there are so many things to do in Poland it will have you visiting time and again. But exactly why should you visit … Read more
- 8 of the very best Polish souvenirsA visit to Poland is not complete without taking home some of the best Polish Souvenirs to remember your time there. We’ve been to Poland 5 times and there is always something we bring home that makes people ask where did we get that from. Here are our top tips for souvenirs from Poland to … Read more
- 12 best things to do in Rzeszow with kidsAre you looking to visit Poland and do not know which places are worth visiting? When you come to this beautiful country, apart from visiting the capital city Warsaw, Kraków and the beaches at the Baltic Sea, you must see Rzeszow. It is a medium-sized city located in the southeast of Poland. It is extremely … Read more
- 5 unforgettable castles in Podkarpacie you must seeHave you ever wondered what it would be like to live in a beautiful castle just like a prince or princess? We all know that you have. If I’m being honest, it’s going to be hard for you to live this way these days. But don’t give up because there is a way! It’s not forever, but for … Read more
Getting to Podkarpackie Voivodeship
The easiest way to access the region is by flying into Rzeszow Airport. Rzeszów–Jasionka Airport is an international airport located in Jasionka, a village 10 km from Rzeszow. There are 5 airlines flying to Rzeszów from 14 airports around the world, as of January 2022. Airlines flying to Rzeszow include Lot Polish Airlines, Ryanair and Wizz Air. You can pick up a rental car at Rzeszow Airport to explore Podkarpackie.
Flixbus has the best options if you’re travelling around Poland by bus. Polish rail has connections to Rzeszow and you can travel directly to Kracow, Warsaw, Wrocław, Poznań, Szczecin, Bydgoszcz, Gdańsk or Lviv. Search train tickets to Rzeszow with Omio. By car, the region is connected to Northern Poland by the s19 Autostrada and to the west via the DK94 from Krakow.
Distances from Rzeszow to other Polish cities by road
- Krakow – 163 kilometers
- Warsaw – 287 Kilometers
- Gdansk – 629 Kilometers
- Wroclaw – 439 Kilometers
- Poznan – 507 kilometers
- Bialystok – 413 Kilometers